We just came back from Vegas where, surprisingly, we spent a lot of time at the local Whole Foods. I know, we were in Vegas and we had food available to us 24/7, but in addition to wanting to stay somewhat healthy this Whole Foods rocked!
We were able to find local beers not available to us in South Florida and I fell deeply and madly in love with this vegan brownie sold in their coffee/bakery section. It appeared that this particular brownie was made by a local bakery and brought into Whole Foods for sale on a daily. Unfortunately for me, on the last day of our trip there was no brownie! All I wanted was one more day to indulge and those dreams were shattered.
We’ve been home nearly a week now and I keep going into Whole Foods hoping that magically an alternative would appear but it hasn’t. I gave into my craving tonight and whipped up a batch of my own brownies. While they are not vegan they are absolutely sinful and amazing.
You’ll need a glass of milk for these! Also, I think I’ll make them again because I want more nuttiness from the whole wheat flour which I only halved here. But Sinful Sunday Brownies take one is below:
Sinful Sunday Brownies – Take 1
1cup Granulated Sugar
1/2cup Coconut Oil
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4cup AP Flour
1/4cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2cup Cocoa Powder
1/2tsp Instant Espresso Powder
1/4tsp Baking Soda
1/4ts Baking Powder
1cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Beat together the coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- Mix in the chocolate chunks with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Once the batter forms , scrape it into the prepared dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center mostly clean.
Look out for an update to this post when I try these bad boys again. Enjoy!